Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sour Cream and Fresh Blueberry Cake with a Side of Don't Use Fiesta Bakeware

Let me get this off my chest now, before we proceed.

This cake didn't work out at all.

And yet, this is probably one of the best received recipes I've tried yet. Despite the fact that it was, ahem, underbaked, it was so delicious that it didn't even last an hour out of the oven. The batter might have been even better than the cake. I was afraid I wouldn't get it in the oven with the way my mom and I were spooning the batter out of the bowl.

But before I give you the recipe, let's talk a little bit about a brand of dishes- Fiestaware. I love Fiesta. I'm a sucker for colorful happy plates and Fiesta fits the bill. However, whatever you do, do not use their bakeware, I made a cake in a 13x9 Fiesta brand pan before and the middle didn't get done. I thought, hey, my fault. I must of undercooked it. And then it kept happening. This time was no exception. Something about the way the Fiesta pans cook makes the outside cook far faster than the center. You have the option of an underdone center or an overbaked outside. When it comes to bakeware, I highly suggest traditional metal or glass pans.

But now to the cake! This recipe is another from Grandma Rose. It's super moist and delicious. I think it would be perfect for a brunch, though it's tasty any time of the day!
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sweet butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups blueberries
1/2 cup brown sugar

Begin by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and granulated sugar.

Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift dry ingredients and add gradually to the egg mixture alternately with sour cream, ending with the flour mixture.
Stir in the vanilla and 1 cup of the berries. I love this picture. Just look how plump and yummy those blueberries are.

Pour half of the batter into the pan.
Cover with remaining berries and sprinkle with brown sugar.

This is just so gorgeous! I wanted to dig in and not even bother baking the cake!

Add remaining batter and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
This cake certainly looks done, does it not? It's beautiful. Browned but not burnt. A nice golden color.

Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish cooking.
As you can see, this is where I realized what had happened. The center was not baked- AT ALL. When I dumped it out onto the rack, a little stuck and I noticed it was sticking. That was when the raw batter started leaking through the rack onto the table.

I was distraught. My beautiful blueberry cake was destroyed. I thought I was going to have to start all over. I was heartbroken.

Thank goodness for mothers. Mom calmed me down and said, "Y'know, with batter that good, I'm sure this will taste just fine." And believe it or not, it really did. My mom, dad, boyfriend and I all cut ourselves a piece and it was absolutely delicious. I even got a piece that was almost thoroughly baked.
 
So the next time I make this treat, I'm definitely going to use a metal pan. I know I'm going to have to make it again as my family has already been demanding it!

Good luck!
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment