Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Got the blues? Eat some peach dump cake!

Yesterday I left my home sweet home in Texas for the gray skies of Boston. It's back to school for me and, admittedly, I'm already feeling the blues. I miss my dogs, my family and my boyfriend. However, there is one thing so simple to make and so unforgettably delicious that it just blows all my homesickness away-- peach dump cake.
I worked at the local country club over the summer and that is where I found out about this amazing dessert. A caterer using the ballroom one day brought this for a party and gave me a bowl. Now to tell the truth, I don't like peaches at all. Nevertheless, I took a bite and, to my complete shock, I thought it was delicious! I knew that I just had to have the recipe. Thus, allow me to share this treasure trove of peachy goodness with you.

Ingredients:
1 large can or jar of peach slices in syrup (about 20-24 oz)
1-1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 box yellow cake mix, any brand
1 stick of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread peaches into a 13x9 pan and chop into several smaller pieces. Make sure you don't leave out the syrup! That's part of what makes this so delish!
Sprinkle with cinnamon. Yum! This is already looking good!
Now take the box of cake mix and pour it over the peaches. Try to layer it pretty evenly. I broke up the large chunks you see here to avoid dry spots.
Butter time! Cut the stick of butter into several even slices. Place them across the top of the cake mix. Attempt to do this evenly but, as you can see, I failed miserably at this step and it still turned out just fine.
Now sprinkle a layer of brown sugar over this multi-layered wonder. This, in my opinion, is where the magic really happens.
Finally, top with the chopped walnuts. Place it in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes. My oven runs a bit hot so mine took closer to 35. 

When it comes out, it should look like a glorious golden desert filled with rivers of molten wonderful.

OMG. I'm literally drooling right now.
Try to wait for it to cool. Or just dig right in, like I did. Give it the crowning glory of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. It matters not which you choose as either will compliment this marvelous concoction just as well as the other.
I hope you enjoy this immensely. Some advice? Hide it from your family and friends or it will disappear... Fast!

Good luck!
Rosie

Source: The mystical and magical caterer at work

No comments:

Post a Comment