Sunday, February 5, 2012

Redwall Inspired Scones and Meadowcream

When I was around 8 years old, my favorite book series was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques.
There was something great about those books, something that makes me love them even today at age 20. Two summers ago, when my boyfriend and I had just begun dating, we discovered that our love for the series was mutual. One night we reminisced about how all of the descriptions of food within the books sounded simply divine and we both got it into our heads that we just HAD to have some. Out of everything described in the series, we both agreed that scones and meadowcream sounded the best. So we got creative. Our experiment was a success and now scones and meadowcream is one of my boyfriend's favorite dishes. If it was up to him, I would make them all the time.

Unfortunately, Brian Jacques died last year. Both Austin and I were heartbroken. With Jacques passing away, I think we both realized a piece of our childhood had gone with him. His books were fantastic and were part of what inspired me to pursue writing as a career. All of his characters were incredibly brave and they all taught me incredibly important lessons while growing up. I know that one day I'll read his books to my children and I hope I can inspire others to do the same.
Redwall Abbey's Scones and Meadowcream

What you need....

For the scones:
3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup fresh blueberries or currants or fruit of choice (optional)
1 tablespoon heavy cream for brushing

For the meadowcream:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 pkg (4 serving) instant vanilla pudding
1/2-3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
Add butter and mix with fingertips to a course meal. Add buttermilk and mix until just combined. Add your fruit. This recipe is highly adaptable so I encourage you to experiment. I've tried adding nuts and different extracts and they've always been delicious. Tried cranberries and walnuts. Or dried cherries and almond extract. Get creative!
Transfer dough to a floured surface and divide into two parts. Roll each into 3/4 inch thick rounds. Cut each round into 8 wedges and place slightly separated onto a greased baking sheet.
 Brush tops with whipping cream. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Oh man, those look good enough on their own! And they are really. Just use a bit of butter or jam and you're set. Or, if you're looking for something really delicious, you might want to pay attention to the next part...

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the cream cheese, pudding mix and milk until smooth and light yellow. Mixture should be thick and sticky, but still thin enough that it can be stirred. Add more milk if needed.
In separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to overbeat. Fold whipped cream and vanilla into pudding mix. Serve and enjoy!
Oh my... How delicious does that look? A fair warning, a little bit of meadowcream goes a long way. That does not mean, however, that you'll be able to stop yourself from eating a whole bowl of it. This stuff is addictive.

































Good luck and happy baking!
Rosie

Source: Scones- Food Network
Meadowcream- the team effort of Austin and I

No comments:

Post a Comment