Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Twist- Mint Oreo Truffles

I have to thank my friend Shae for coming up with this recipe. As a college student, there are not a lot of things one can afford to make when craving a homemade sweet. However, last year Shae decided to take a twist on the classically easy Oreo truffle-- using mint Oreos instead of regular. I have to say, the results were pretty phenomenal and I would make these all the time if I didn't think I'd have to be rolled to class every day.
After Christmas, I had a little bit of money on hand so I decided to get myself a gift. Partially because I really wanted it, and partially because I knew it was time for Oreo truffles. So I bought a food processor.
Isn't she beautiful? I've nicknamed her Matilda. I think my boyfriend was a bit disconcerted that I had chosen a pink food processor as he immediately connected what this would implicate for the rest of the kitchen appliances I may buy in my lifetime. Oh well, I think he'll get over it. I must say, this processor works like a charm. It may be small, but it gets the job done in no time.




What you need for mint Oreo truffles:
1 package mint Oreos
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, softened
1 (16 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 (2 oz) Ghirardelli white chocolate baking bar

Crush up your Oreos. Don't crush them too fine or else the truffles will be too soft. You'll want the Oreos to still be a little chunky.
Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and crushed Oreos until thoroughly incorporated. Place mixture, covered, in the freezer and chill for at least two hours.
Working quickly, roll the chilled mixture into one inch balls. Place in the refrigerator or freezer while preparing chocolate. Next, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler over medium heat.
Using tongs or a toothpick, dip the balls in the chocolate until completely covered A warning-- as the truffles warm, they have a tendency to fall apart. Try to keep them in the fridge up until the very last second before it is time to dip them. Let the truffles cool and harden on wax paper.
Once the truffles have cooled, it is time to drizzle them with white chocolate. Melt the white chocolate in the microwave and pour into a ziploc bag. Snip the corner of the bag and then drizzle the truffles. Refrigerate truffles until ready to serve.

These truffles are far too delicious! They're incredibly rich so don't try to overstuff yourself. However, the mint in these added a really delicate flavor overall.
If you are ever trying to express your sweetheart, this is definitely a recipe to try. It's incredibly simple, pretty inexpensive to make, and completely delicious.

Good luck and happy baking!
Rosie

Source: The beautiful Shae

No comments:

Post a Comment