Sunday, February 12, 2012

Valentines Day Cookies and Cream Cake

Valentines Day is just two days away. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a pretty terrible Valentine. I bought Austin's gift, but I'm determined to be crafty and make him something super wonderful. I just haven't found the time. Since we live in completely different time zones, I'm afraid that there's no way he's going to get his gift on time. Sorry, babe. Just call me your very belated Valentine.

Last year, I had basically no money so I decided to bake cookies and mail them to Austin. Little did I know, I ended up baking 10 pounds of cookies. Austin forbid me to do that this year so I had to make him a sweet Valentines treat a bit early this year. I technically made this cake in January but... Let's just pretend I made it yesterday, mmkay?
This is probably the best cake ever. I'm not exaggerating. However, this has also been one of the most difficult cakes I've ever made in my life. In fact, it has taken me three attempts to get the cake to come out of the pan in one piece. On the first try I had a pile of cake pieces. Delicious, rich, moist cake pieces but cake pieces nonetheless. The secret is in the parchment paper. But more on that later.

What you need...

For the cake:
1 3/4 cup flour
2/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs at room temp
1 1/4 cup buttermilk

For the filling:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 box (16 oz) confectioners sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

For the frosting:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups crushed Oreos

Preheat over to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper. This prevents them from becoming a sticky, crumbly mess. Grease the parchment and flour both pans. Set aside. In a medium sized bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well blended. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
On low speed, beat the flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat one minute.
Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Bake for about 36 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool cakes in pans for 10 minutes before removing from pans and transferring to wire racks. Cool completely. These cakes are very delicate so be very gentle with them.
Now for the filling. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add confectioners sugar, then milk. Beat about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Divide the cake layers in half horizontally by using a serrated knife. Set first layer on stand or cake ring. Spread 1/3 of filling and then top with second layer. Repeat until you top with the final cake layer, cut side down.


Frosting time! In a large bowl, with mixer on high, beat heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Generously spread the whip cream all over the cake. Try to avoid getting crumbs on the top. However, if some get on the sides, the oreos will cover them up. Put your crushed cookies in a bowl. With cupped hands, gently press the crumbs into the side of the cake. Brush off excess before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Voila! This cake looks like a million bucks and tastes even better. If you're trying to impress your Valentine, this is the cake to use!

Good luck and happy Valentines!

Rosie

Source: Family Circle

No comments:

Post a Comment