Sunday, June 3, 2012

All American Apple Pie

June is here which means sweltering heat, icy treats and a countdown to 4th of July. I don't know why, but I LOVE 4th of July. Every year, my family gets together at my parents house where we cook out and shoot fireworks. Of course, my responsibility is always the dessert. But what makes for a good 4th of July dessert? Through June, I hope I can give you guys several ideas for delicious, easy desserts that go great for the 4th. A classic that never fails is apple pie. This is my dad's favorite dessert and it's so easy to make!
What you need:
Basic double pie crust
4 lbs (8-10) apples (I use a mix of Granny Smith and Gala)
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup flour, plus additional flour for rolling out crust
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash of nutmeg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
Prepare your crusts. I made a simple homemade recipe, but you can use your own recipe or a store bought crust. Roll out the first crust to about 12 inches and line a 9 inch pie plate. Leave about an inch of overhang around the edge.
 Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Squeeze lemon juice into a large bowl. Peel, core and slice apples into 1/4 inch wide slices. Cut slices in half and place in bowl. Toss apples in lemon juice as you go along to prevent browning.
Add flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg to apples. Stir until apples are evenly coated. Heap into the pie plate, mounding apples toward the center. Dot with butter.
Roll out second pie crust to 12 inches. Gently brush the rim of the bottom pie crust with water. Place second crust on top of pie and pinch the edges together to seal. Tuck overhang under itself. Using your thumb and index finger, press the dough against the knuckle of your other hand to form fluted edges. Using a floured knife, cut about 5 to 6 slits radiating from the center to form vents.
Place pie on a rimmed cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes; reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. I like to cover the edges of the crust in foil while it's baking to prevent them from burning.
Make sure to let your pie cool before you dig into it! This pie smelled so good while it was baking that we were all drooling by the time it finally got out of the oven.
Personally, I find that using all Granny Smith apples makes my pie too tart. That's why I use a mix of Granny Smith and Gala. It gives it a sweeter and fuller flavor to have both. Top with some vanilla ice cream and you've got the perfect summer treat!

Good luck and happy baking!
Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment