Sunday, June 17, 2012

Creamy Key Lime Pie Ice Cream for Father's Day!

I have to blame my dad for my love of baking. When I was a toddler, he allowed me to sit on the counter and "help" him make chocolate chip cookies or cake or fudge or whatever treat he decided to bake. In all honesty, I ate batter more than I did anything else. But I guess something stuck from those many times of watching him concoct delicious treats because I'm still baking up a storm to this day.

The theme of this month has been treats that are easy and delicious for Fourth of July get-togethers. However, since it's Father's Day, I wanted to make something that was good for both. I knew I wanted to make ice cream for my next Fourth of July treat and Key Lime Pie happens to be my dad's favorite dessert. And thus, a search for yummy Key Lime Pie ice cream began. While the following recipe is tastes good, I would not suggest it. I found it to be frustrating and disappointing, but I certainly hope you have better luck.
What you need for 2 servings:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups 2% milk
1 cup half-and-half
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Key Lime zest
1/3 cup Key Lime juice
1/2 cup coarsely crushed graham cracker crumbs

Whisk together the first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in the milk and half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. The original recipe says 8 to 10 minutes, however, it took me a good deal longer. I would say it took about 20-30 minutes. Be patient and don't stop stirring or else you will have a mess of scalded milk.
Remove from heat.
Beat egg yolk until thick. Gradually whisk in about 1 cup hot cream mixture. Add yolk mixture to remaining cream mixture, whisking constantly.
Pour mixture through a wire mesh strainer to remove any solid bits of scalded milk. If you want it to be green, add a couple of drops of food coloring. I added 2 green and 1 yellow. Allow to cool for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
Pour mixture into 1 1/2 quart electric ice cream mixture. Prepare according to machine's instructions. About half way through, add your lime zest, lime juice and graham crackers.
This ice cream is deliciously creamy and refreshing. However, I found this recipe a little disappointing because it says it makes a quart, but it only produced about half of that. I also found it frustrating how long it took for the mixture to thicken in contrast to how long it said it should take. Overall, a tasty concept, but I bet there's better recipes out there.

Good luck and happy ice cream making!
Rosie

Source:Southern Living

No comments:

Post a Comment