Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sugar Free Pound Cake

Sometimes I get requests to make things for people with dietary issues. When this happens, I always feel a bit bad because I don't make sugar-free, gluten- free, vegan etc. treats so I don't exactly have a stock of recipes to go to. So now I'm trying to experiment with some of these recipes so that no one gets left out. My first recipe was this sugar free pound cake.
What you need:
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups Splenda granular
1/4 teaspoon
1 cup butter, softened
6 large eggs
1 (8 oz) carton sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Before making your cake, I suggest slicing up some strawberries and coating them in Splenda. Sweetened strawberries and whipped cream are the best toppings for pound cake.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or a 12-cup bundt pan; set aside. Combine flour, Splenda and soda in a large mixing bowl; cut butter into flour mixture with pastry blender until crumbly.
Combine eggs, sour cream, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl; add 1/4 of the egg mixture to flour mixture; beat on low speed with an electric mixer until blended; beat at medium speed for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape sides. Repeat process 3 times.
Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, cool completely on wire rack.
I'm not sure how I feel about this cake. Like I said, I've never made sugar free treats before. I found the texture to be a bit strange, but that could be the Splenda. While the ingredient list called for granulated Splenda, it mentioned Splenda baking blend within the directions. I tried the granulated kind for this attempt, but I think I'll use the blend next time.
However you like to top your pound cake, I hope you enjoy!

Best of luck and happy baking!
Rosie

Source: recipezaar

No comments:

Post a Comment