Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bye Bye Texas Coconut Swirl Brownies

Spring break has already come and gone. It went so fast I hardly even knew it was happening. It was great to see my family, my boyfriend and some of my friends. My best friend since middle school is actually leaving for the military this month and I'm not sure when we're going to see each other again. I have to say, she's probably the coolest person ever and I can't wait to show guys a little something we cooked up. Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until April for that little surprise. Sorry guys.

I did manage to get some baking done before I left. I had to make my nephew's birthday cake so it was a hectic time, but I also made some things just for fun. Including Martha Stewart's coconut swirl brownies.
What you need:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut up into small pieces, plus more for the pan
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 large egg white
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
4 oz semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
3 large eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter an 8 inch square pan, line with parchment paper and then butter paper. Stir together 1 tablespoon sugar, sweetened condensed milk, coconut, egg white, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla in small bowl.
Melt butter and chocolates in a double boiler. Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Whisk remaining 3/4 cup sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs, whisk until smooth. Stir in remaining two teaspoons of vanilla. Add flour mixture, stir until well combined.
Spread 1/3 of chocolate batter evenly in bottom of pan. Drop dollops of batter over the chocolate, about a tablespoon each.
Spread the remaining batter over the coconut then dollop any remaining coconut mixture over that. Using a butter knife, gently swirl coconut mixture into the batter by running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through the batter. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out with a few crumbs, but not wet. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then lift onto wire rack to cool completely.
These brownies were pretty tasty, but they certainly were not my favorite. I'm a fudgey brownie kind of girl and these were definitely cakey. I would have liked to taste more coconut and I may add coconut extract the next time I make these. However, these are definitely better the next day as they get gooier. But who is that patient?
Good luck and happy baking!
Rosie

Source: Martha Stewart Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment