Saturday, December 31, 2011

Grandpa's Peanut Butter Fudge

The clock is ticking down and there's not much of 2011 left. I can't believe the end of the year is already here. It seems the time absolutely flew by. So before the inevitable weight loss resolution, let me share one final recipe for 2011- peanut butter fudge.
My dad has made a batch of this peanut butter fudge every year for as long as I can remember. Yet this was the first time that I decided to make it all on my own. As I read the recipe, I noticed for the first time a little note under the directions-- this had actually been my grandpa's recipe from when my dad was a child. Unfortunately, I never got to meet my grandfather on my dad's side; he died a few months before I was born. But even as a child, I loved hearing stories about him and loved seeing pictures of him. It made me feel closer to this man that I would never have the opportunity to know. When I found that note and asked Dad about it, he told me that his father had made several batches of this fudge every year. He would package it up and give it to all of the family friends at Christmastime, but would make sure there was enough for his own family as well.

It's little stories like that that always get me. It reminds me that just because someone is gone, they were real human beings who touched and moved lives. Now, when I taste this fudge, I like to think I've found some little part of my grandpa's memory that can live on with me.
What you need:
3 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 7 oz jar marshmallow cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine sugar, margarine, and milk in heavy 2 1/2 quart saucepan. Bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes (this is important!) over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent scorching.
Remove from heat; stir in peanut butter until melted. Attempt to not eat all of the peanut butter from the jar.
Add the marshmallow cream and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Cool to room temperature and then cut into squares.
Yum! This batch came out perfectly. The secret is in how long you let it boil. Make sure you boil the mix for five minutes and no less. If you don't cook it long enough, it won't set and you'll have a runny mess on your hands.

Good luck and happy baking!
Rosie

Source: Family Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment