Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream Icing

It's that time of year when college gives me headaches and severe nausea. As the semester is drawing to a close, I have a lot of big projects coming due and I'm definitely wearing out. Today was class registration for spring semester and, while I always enjoy looking forward to new classes, I'm not overly enthused by the fact that I ended up in an 8 AM where I'll listen to jazz music for two hours. But hey, maybe it will surprise me and I'll be cool cat by the end of it.

I have to put of a disclaimer about next week. There might be a lack of a post next week because, not only am I going home for the holiday on Saturday, but also because....
Yes, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is coming out on Sunday which means that I will lose all contact with the outside world until I have beaten the game. If I do manage to drag myself from my gaming cave, I may be unshowered with a crazy look in my eye. I apologize for any neuroses that may occur from this point forward.

But on to the baking. For the third installment in our pumpkin saga, I made pumpkin cupcakes with caramel buttercream.
Anyone who knows me knows that cupcakes are pretty much my favorite thing. The only thing better than cupcakes? Pumpkin cupcakes. These turned out deliciously moist and the frosting was sweet without being overbearing.
What you need for the cupcakes:
1/2 cup shortening, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup milk
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugars until fluffy; add eggs, beating well.
Blend in pumpkin.
Sift dry ingredients; add to pumpkin mixture alternately with milk.
Beat until smooth but make sure not to overbeat. Fill muffin cups or cupcake tins 1/2 full.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean. Let cool in pan about ten minutes before removing them from pan and setting on wire racks. Cool completely.

What you need for the frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, not packed
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter or shortening
About 2 lbs powdered sugar
Melt 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat.

Bring to a boil and cook (while stirring constantly) for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and whisk in milk and vanilla extract.
 Mix the other 1/2 cup butter or shortening with 2 cups of powdered sugar. Alternate adding the brown sugar mixture and remaining powder sugar.
This is a very thin frosting so I would not advise trying to decorate the cupcakes with it. However, it's quite delicious and it really compliments the flavor of the pumpkin.
These cupcakes came out perfect! They are so good that it's pretty much impossible to only eat one. 
I have a lot of friends who don't care for pumpkin pie because of the texture. If you're looking for a Thanksgiving dessert that has the traditional pumpkin flavor but a texture that everyone can enjoy, I seriously suggest you give these cupcakes a try.

Good luck and happy baking!
Rosie

Source: Cupcakes- favorite Eastern Star Recipes Holiday Cookbook 1970
             Frosting- BakeBakeBake community of LJ (I'm so sorry! I can't remember the poster or original source!)

No comments:

Post a Comment