Saturday, July 30, 2011

Swedish Spritz and the Cookie Press from Hell

My second recipe to attempt in Grandma Rose's cookbook was her Swedish Spritz. I decided to alternate between the sections of recipes because, as much as I love cake, I don't think I want to make a million of them all in a row.

This recipe should have been easy. In fact, it WAS easy. But the cookie press drove me into fits of rage that I have never experienced before. I hate to say, but several pictures did not get taken due to me being occupied by spitting flames and throwing cookie dough at the wall.





Ingredients:

1 cup sweet butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 egg yolks
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla

Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Thoroughly grease your baking sheets.
Beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until fluffy.
Add yolks, one at a time, beating until smooth. Sift flour with baking powder and salt, and gradually add to butter mixture. Mix until well blended.
Add almond extract and vanilla. Mix dough until you can form a smooth log with your hands.
Place dough in cookie press and push out dough in small rings onto baking sheets.  Bake for about 12 minutes and be careful not to overbake.
Aren't they cute? This is a picture of the only -almost- perfect batch I made. My mistake was in buying the cheapest cookie press I found at the store. Though Wilton brand (I find that their stuff usually works pretty well), I had an issue with getting the dough to come out evenly. One of the petals of the cutout REFUSED to come out and I found myself scooping up half formed cookies and placing them back in the press for the majority of the project. The second problem was that, because the dough did not come out evenly, the cookies became very fragile and, more often than not, fell apart at the slightest touch.

The moral of this story? Never skimp when buying baking supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment